Nov. 9, 2011
Like the Occupy movement itself both in Portland and elsewhere, it has always been our vision as the Interfaith Guild of Chaplains to evolve beyond the current stage of this Occupation.
During the last three days, we have seen a beginning of some volatility over the continued existence of the Occupation at Chapman and Lownsdale parks in downtown Portland. While we make advance plans for services and events with a presumption that this Occupation will continue, we also must think flexibly in terms of how this movement changes over coming days. Additionally, changing weather patterns and unpredictability of events at the Occupation also require us to be always ready for unexpected developments.
Therefore I have made this contingency plan in case of any event that makes our already scheduled events and services not possible to be held at the locations specified, as follows:
- A. For interfaith gatherings and other larger event that meets at the Obelisk: In case when the encampment is/has been dismantled or vacated, or it is deemed that such an event is impending within 6 hours, go to the Shemansky Fountain on the South Park Blocks, between SW Main and Salmon streets behind the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall. This is five blocks west of the Occupation.
- B. For smaller gatherings, meetings and such that meets at the Sacred Space or at the Temple or at the Occupy Portland University Library: In case when the encampment is/has been dismantled or vacated, or it is deemed that such an event is impending within 6 hours, go to the southeast corner of the Director Park across the street from the Regal Cinema, which is the corner of Southwest Taylor Street and Southwest Park Avenue. This is five blocks west, then one block north of the Occupation.
Also, we are looking for volunteers to dismantle the sukkah tomorrow (Thursday, Nov. 10). Regardless of any future development it is a good measure to get rid of that structure at this point.
I will maintain my on-site presence until it becomes no longer safe to continue so. When this occurs, an announcement will be made.
On Thursday, Nov. 10 chaplains meeting will be held as scheduled at 4 p.m. at the Sacred Space (or its contingency location, Director Park). The meeting will discuss plans based on both possibilities.
I will continue closely monitoring on the ongoing situation. The mayor is scheduled to hold a meeting tomorrow at 10 a.m. at the Portland City Hall.
IGC Resident Coordinator