|Image by Christina's Play Place via Flickr|
This observance falls at a cross-quarter between winter solstice and spring equinox, marking the mid-point between winter and spring in the northern hemisphere.
When: Thursday, Feb. 2, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Where: Northwest corner of the former Washington High School field/playground, at the corner of Southeast Stark Street and Southeast 12th Avenue (across from the "vegan mini-mall") -- and will end with a short sidewalk procession to the Che Room, the #OccupyPortland headquarters (only a block away).
What: A small eclectic/interfaith ceremony with some chants, songs, readings, and other activities.
Bring: small, non-obnoxious noisemakers such as rattles, small drums, etc.; candles to be blessed if you have them (we also provide some); beans for Setsubun "exorcism" of the evil spirits (traditionally, roasted soybeans, sold in some stores these days as "soy nuts"; but any kind of beans would do); your favorite Goddess-chants or Candlemas-related songs; food offerings to share. This will be a highly participatory event.
- About Brigid: www.ordbrighideach.org and www.tuathadebrighid.net
- About Setsubun: www2.gol.com/users/stever/setsubun.htm and gojapan.about.com/cs/japanesefestivals/a/setsubun.htm
- About Candlemas (aka Purification of the Virgin): liturgy.co.nz/candlemas/339 and www.newadvent.org/cathen/03245b.htm
- About Imbolc: www.adf.org/rituals/celtic/imbolc/imbolc-traditions.html and paganwiccan.about.com/od/imbolctraditions/Imbolc_Traditions_Customs_and_Folklore.htm
- About Luciad: www.mother-god.com/feast-of-lights.html and divinemothergod.com/2012/02/02/luciad-feast-of-lights/